Tuesday, February 19, 2013


If you are keeping more than you need or want, you have to ask yourself, why?  What is that I'm doing (or not doing) that keeps clutter in my world?  Maybe it's not what you are doing, per se.  Maybe it's the questions you are not asking to challenge yourself as to why you are keeping things?

Action:

When you find yourself keeping things "just for now," or you have boxes stacked up with things to go through later...

Ask yourself the following questions.
Why am I keeping this?
Do I have a place to keep it?
Is this something I really want?
Do I actually use it?
Does it still look attractive?
Is it still functional?
Is it now obsolete?
Is it damaged?  If so, am I really going to fix it? How? When?
Is it worth paying to store it?
If I was looking for this and I couldn’t find it, what would I do?
Does it have significant sentimental value?
How will I feel if it  isn’t in my world any longer?
Who would care if I got rid of it? Does that really matter?
What’s the worst thing that could happen if I let it go?

(excerpt from 5 Days to a Clutter-Free House, Chapter 5, “What do I do now with the stuff in the boxes, pp. 118—119, by Sandra Felton and Marsha Sims)

No comments:

Post a Comment