Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Stop procrastinating.

I'm so excited... my new book, "101 Ways to Stop Procrastinating," is launched!

I'm excited because procrastination seems to be the the key to all of our woes.  Or, at least many of them.  If we would stop procrastinating, we could conquer the world... or at least accomplish what we want to accomplish every day.

Can you imagine what your life would be like, and what you could accomplish, if you could only get out of your own way?  Amazing, isn't it!

So... why do we procrastinate?

Here are the five main reasons:

  1. We have a large task and we don't want to start for fear we can't get through it
  2. We have a boring, mundane task that we don't want to do
  3. We have do do something that we don't understand or that we find difficult or complex
  4. We have an unpleasant task to do
  5. We get in the middle of a task and we get stuck and don't know how to proceed
The bottom line... we don't really want to do it, or we would buckle down and get it done.  The reason I'm sure this is true is... at the last minute, we generally get it done.

Here's another reason we procrastinate.  We thrive on the adrenaline rush.  I know, it's a terrible thing and it makes us feel awful, causes stress, and makes us really difficult to be with during what I call the "procrastination struggle," but when we finally get it done we feel so proud of ourselves!  We feel smart, accomplished, and superior.

"It took them three weeks to write that report, and I did it at 3am!"

"I never get around to planning out my speeches; I do mine at the spur of the moment."

"The assignment was give out last week; I stayed up all night and pulled it off!"

Are we really smart and superior?  Or are we stressed out, tired, and harried?  All because we procrastinated?

Dr. Robert Schuller said, "What great thing would you accomplish if you knew you could not fail?"  I say, "What great thing could you accomplish if you simply stopped procrastinating and just did it?"

If you just did it as if your life depended on it you would get it done.  Because the quality of your life does depend on it.

Have a terrific day!

Marsha Sims 

No comments:

Post a Comment