Monday, February 11, 2013

My hectic schedule got the best of me.  This proves I'm human!


And we are all human, aren't we?  And we let the things that may or may not be priorities get in front of other things that may or may not be priorities.

And yes... it's possible to have two urgent meetings at the same time.  Or two urgent priorities that run concurrently.  For some, it happens daily.  So what do we do?

We schedule as best we can.  We prioritize as best we can.  We try, and then we make the best of what happens.  What is NOT acceptable is not trying... not scheduling... and not making a plan.

How do you begin to try?  By making a list, daily, of the most important things you want to accomplish tomorrow.  That is how you start establishing priorities.  During the day, when things happen that are not on your list of priorities, you weigh the activity or request against your priorities for the day.  Here's a quote I try to live by, "If you don't have a plan, you are part of someone else's plan."

How do you begin to create a schedule?  By using something with the times listed on it (computer calendar, cell phone calendar, manual planner, a piece of paper), and make a list of what you would like to have happen during the time blocks that you set aside.  Will it always happen like that?  No.  But the more you create a schedule and attempt to stick with it, the more realistic your scheduling will become.

How do you make a plan?  I like to list the top 10 things I want to do, and see where I can fit them in.  Sometimes I make it (like writing this blog daily), and sometimes I don't make it (like writing this blog the last two days).  But I keep trying.  I keep scheduling.  and I keep making a plan.

Am I always successful?  No.  But I am always trying.  And you should too.

Have a terrific day!

Marsha Sims

Subscribe to Clutter-Free Forever by Email

www.sortitout.net

No comments:

Post a Comment