Tuesday, February 5, 2013

We just ended the class series, "Organizing Your Day," titled after my Time Management book.  Starting on Tuesday, February 6th we will begin the series called "Opening the Boxes."
Here are some answers to your most asked questions about Time Management.



What is the difference between being "busy" and being "productive?"

  • When you are busy you are engaged in an activity. When you are productive, you are doing things that move you towards a goal.  You can be really busy playing an online game, but does that move you towards a worthwhile goal?  Probably  not.

How can I apply the Pareto principle (80/20 rule) to my time management issues?

  • Project Managers know that 20 percent of the work (the first 10 percent and the last 10 percent) consume 80 percent of your time and resources. You can apply the 80/20 Rule to almost anything, from the science of management to the physical world.

How do I say "no" to time wasters?

  • Just say, "No," "No thanks," and "I can't this time, but I'd love to in the future when I have an opening."  Remember, saying "no" is in reality saying "YES" to you.

How can I handle all of the interruptions so I can get some things done?

  • Make a list of the types of interruptions you get, and create a strategy to handle each one.  Excessive phone calls need a different strategy than coworkers dropping in unannounced.  Chances are you get the same type of interruptions regularly.  Don't allow them to surprise you every time they happen. Plan for them, and they will stop derailing you. 

Have a terrific day!

Marsha Sims

Subscribe to Clutter-Free Forever by Email

www.sortitout.net

No comments:

Post a Comment