Saturday, January 5, 2013




Don't put your organizing on the back burner.  Make it a priority.

I woke up yesterday morning and realized I'm doing this blog all wrong!


Isn't that what we do?  We start on something, then realize it's not what we thought we wanted, and we change in the middle of the stream?  That's how we can start cleaning off a table, find something that belongs in another room, take it there, and start moving things around in the other room... forgetting about the table.

Here's what this blog is supposed to be - short daily tips

Here's what I've done - long, daily posts

Why does this happen?  It happens because we are flexible.  It happens because we like to live "in the now" moment, and we are good in the now.  If we could live in the now and stay there, we'd be fine.  The problem is, we... those of us with the problem of disorganization... live in the now while we regret the past, and fear the future.  That takes away a lot of the fun of spontaneity.

The reason it happened in this blog is because when I sit down to write, I have pictures in my head of all the people who tell me they are stuck.  I just want to embrace you all, and gently guide you to the solution.  But when I woke up I realized that is unrealistic.  It's too much.  No one has time to read pages from me every day.  I realized that if I make it short and digestible, more people can read and digest it.  So, I will return to my original idea.  I think that's going to be harder for me than writing the long ones, but I think in the long run it will be more beneficial to more people.

At the risk of appearing flaky, I'm  going to try and shorten these posts... because I want you to read them.  I think most people will prefer a short daily inspirational tip, than a long explanation of how to organize.  What do you think?  Please give me feedback.

You can comment, or you can send me an email.

And now for the (short) topic:  Make your organizing a priority.

If you relegate your organizing to the last thing you do, or if you bury it among your existing obligations, it probably won't get done.  Commit to using the first 15 minutes of your morning to organizing.  Do it every morning for 21 (consistent) days, and it will become a habit. Once it becomes a habit, and you mirror that with techniques, you will be unstoppable!

Action:  Put organizing on your calendar as the FIRST thing you do.  Can't do it?  Then get up 15 minutes earlier and do it.  Start by clearing off surfaces.

Have a beautiful day!

Marsha


Subscribe to Clutter-Free Forever by Email

www.sortitout.net

2 comments:

  1. Marsha, I can't begin to tell you how much your blog has meant to me so far. You have such powerful knowledge and great wisdom! I appreciate you so much:) Your heart to help others and your encouragement to those of us who are "stuck" means a lot to me! ~THANK YOU~

    I love your honesty, Marsha, and your transparency. I think your assessment is correct in that you will be able to reach and help more people with shorter, daily tips. My only concern is that you may be tempted to over-correct and not include something that would be very helpful to us. I know you will find a balance:) I like when you include a brief action point and an encouraging word at the end:) I would say you are an amazing woman and I am so thankful for your willingness to share with me and others.

    Thanks again!!!!

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I would be honored if you would forward and share this blog with other people who could benefit.

    I've wanted to do this for a long time. I'm so happy that you like it!

    Marsha

    ReplyDelete